Monday, October 6, 2008

Doing "Nothing"

So over the weekend I did my "nothing assignment" I thought hmm this is going to be a peice of cake I'll just stand there and do nothing no problem. I got to work and as usual it was crowded as ever. I worked for about 2 hours and then I was on break. I went through a crowd of people trying to find the best place possible for me to do my assignment. I finally found my spot and just stood there starring off into space. All in all I thought it was very relaxing. Because I had nothing to think about all the noise of children screaming and people talking about their day all just kinda drowned out. Occasionally I was interupted by several customers asking me "where do I pay for my pumpkins?", or "where do get corn or tomatoes?" One of my co-workers was on break with me and she came up to me and waved her hand infront of my face asking me if i was ok. When I was done with my assignment I relized that everyone is programed to look like we are occupied. What ever happend to using your imagination or cleansing your mind and relaxing? Our society is all about being fast and getting everything done in a matter of time. It's everywhere in America Dunkin Donuts slogan is "America runs on Dunkin" and underneath their slogan the have a cartoon business man running with a coffee cup. And the Dominoe's pizza slogan is "you've got 30 minutes" implying that they have 30 minutes to deliver a fresh pizza to your house. Not only is this an unhealthy life style but we are all just forgetting what its like to enjoy life. We are so wound up everything that we just can't enjoy simple things anymore. I am a victim of this my day revolves around school, field hockey, work, homework, eating, and sleeping. I think everyone needs to take a mental health day :)

No comments: