Monday, October 27, 2008
masculine or femanine?
This week we discussed how people view masculenity and femanism and how it plays a role in not just adults but even children as young as 9 years old. At a young age girls are looked upon as docile and extremely vulnerable. Boys on the other hand are expected to be tough and show no pain. Also in our culture if a boy cries he is looked at as a baby whereas if a girl were to cry it would be acceptable just because she is a girl. For girls they are suppose to not play in the mud or play with action figures, they are suppose to quietly play with their dolls in their room. When I was younger I always was around my older brother either playing basketball outside or playing street hockey with him and his friends. I did play with stuffed animals and enjoyed other toys like my Easy Bake oven, but I hated playing with dolls. I was very much so influenced by my brother. I believe that we way our mentality is set on gender is very unhealthy. If girls are always thought to be quiet and docile and if boys are thought to be tough and not to cry, then they are going to have such an unstable mind because they are supressed emotionally and mentally. Even as we grow older we are still in the same state of mind only it is altered a little bit. According to the media the thinner the girl is the sexier she is. The more buff the male is the sexier he is. All of this is based off of genetic structure and how we suppose to be. The upsetting thing is if people don't meet these standards then they are looked upon as a looser. School shootings happen because certain students felt like they had no control or didn't feel like they were treated well because they were different then everybody else. In the movie that we watched today in class, one murderer stated, "murdering someone is gutsy and daring." males want to show dominace and bravery to be accepted. Statistics show that females are not as violent then males are in which I believe because I think that males hold in their emotion because they don't want to talk about their feelings as oppose to females who almost talk daily to at least one person about how they feel about something. I firmly believe that our perspective on gender should change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Our perspective on gender should defidently change. I completely agree with you, but how? I wish that boys were more open with their feeling because oppressing them only leads to more trouble. The fact that boys think they can kill someone to gain respect is strange to me because when it comes down to it most guys will rather talk than kill.
Post a Comment