Sunday, September 7, 2008

Last nights reading... (Gang Leader For A Day)

So I just finished reading "Gang Leader For A Day" and I had a few things that I just wanted to self reflect on. After reading this story it made me think of a few things: how much I appreciate where I live, how thankful I am for having a loving family who provides me with food, shelter, and clothing, and how thanful I am to be able to go to school to get an education. It's just sad hearing how these people live in this story, like how they explained how there are so many poor African Americans who live in these bad areas they call "the ghetto." It also is sad how they referred to eachother as "nigger" growing up I was taught that the word "nigger" was profane and extremely disrespectful. I had a couple of questions running throught my head while I was reading this story, one that popped in my head a lot was why were these young black men compelled to be so violent? It's just a horrible way to live feeling like everyday your going to have to kill someone. All and all though this story was good I enjoyed reading about how these men treated Sudhir Venkatesh when he entered their neighborhood and how they thought about him.

1 comment:

Sal said...

I agree Melisa. I think this is a great attitude. As we learn more this year, my hope is that students will often realize not just what is wrong with this society but also how lucky we are to have what we do.